Give Gifts People Really Want

Sunday, August 9, 2009

What makes a gift special?

Gifts say alot about the relationship between you and the other person. A most meaningful gift is one that says:

"You are known and loved. You matter."


Gift cards and neckties can be meaningful-when it it unexpected and unique and special to you. But most often, for a gift to be truly meaningful, to exude: "You are loved and cherished and worth it," - it has to be personal.

And the best way I know to make it personal; to show someone they are one-in-a-bajillion is to give something that is one-of-a-kind. A hand-made gift.

(in)courage.me, THE site for encouraging women where they are, is launching today. Part of the festivities of the day are posting on what inspires and encourages you.



People who care so much for those around them that they give with their hearts inspire me. People who think time and attention are more valuable than dollars. People who get their hands dirty to make something of beauty for someone who is beautiful to them. They inspire me. And their gifts warm me and tell me I am loved.


Some of My Hand-made Kindred Spirits:

Songbird Tiff actually has an entire blog devoted to the gifts she makes all year to give at Christmas. Quite a challenge, and I fear for her all year that someone in her family will stumble upon her site! But if you're not a mother or sister to Tiff, check it out!

Simply Vintage Girl, Emily Rose, hosts A Homemade Christmas. This years series will begin in October, where she will share the gifts she is working on, and others can link up with our creations.



Sew Mama Sew's blog makes November Handmade Holidays:30 Days of Gifts to Sew. Many of the ideas are simple, and all give complete tutorials.

And although Chatting at the Sky Emily's Letter may not seem like a hand-made gift, she describes the thoughtful handwritten words of a friend as life-giving. Life-giving! Emily unwraps gifts like these every Tuesday.

Do you give handmade gifts to you (in)courage others? Are we hand-made kindred spirits?

6 Creative People Had This To Say:

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

This year I have determined to give hand-made gifts to many on my list at Christmas. I've already begun gathering supplies and ideas. Great thoughts, Kristen, about how meaningful it is to receive a gift MADE by one who loves you.

Amanda said...

I just LOVE your new sidebar picture! You look great! I can't figure out how to add one on Wordpress... :) Hugs to you today friend...

Amanda

leaningonhim@wordpress.com

Tiffany said...

Ha! Thank you for the link. I've actually started posting AFTER I've given gifts, in order for me to make the site public.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

This year I will too be giving handmade gifts. There are so many to choose from, and I love coming up with something unique for the people on my list.I have started something similar for friends birthday. I gave my first plant that I rooted myself and gave as a birthday gift, and will be doing the same again soon. I have got to get busy soon. Jackie

Nancy Sabina said...

Hi! Came over from TCB - your blog is so great! I love getting a little creative and showing that I put thought into a gift. Thanks for this inspiring post.

Rizwan said...

Yes you have done good job on this blog its a really nice post thanks for sharing

Send Gifts to Pakistan