Square Foot Gardening Anyone?

Monday, August 17, 2009

Reading:: Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.

And now I'm getting really excited about spring.

Sheesh, did I just say that? It's not even Labor Day. Okay, so I'm over summer. Ready for fall. And I'll use the winter to plan my own square foot garden.

(I know it's a strange time to be reading about gardening, but our library's wait list for this one was a mile long. Mr. Smarty just brought it home today.)

So far, here's what I've found fascinating:

The author suggests to start with a 4 foot by 4 foot block per person. If you start in early March, in two months those 16 square feet can produce:

4 head Oak Leaf lettuse
16 standard size carrots
9 bunches of spinach
32 radishes
16 scallions
4 heads Salad Bowl lettuce
16 beets, plus 4 bunches beet greens
5 pounds sugar snap peas
4 heads Ruby lettuce
9 Japanese turnips
8 bunches Swiss chard
1 head cabbage
4 head romaine lettuce
1 head cauliflower
1 head broccoli
16 small, round carrots

And by then the weather is warm enough to start planting and harvesting tomatoes, peppers and squash.



Some friends brought this gi-normous zucchini discovered in the garden. We used maybe a fourth of it for dinner one evening, and another half for zucchini bread.



Anyone already square foot garden? I'd love to hear any experiences with it!

17 Creative People Had This To Say:

Beth said...

Holy Cow that sure is a big zucchini!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

We are already thinking about the space to put a square foot garden in the spring. I think we will be working on it this fall and winter. Jackie

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

I have that book and am seriously thinking of doing it next year. Have you read "Lasagna Gardening"? It is also a great book.

Mrs. Bianca said...

We didn't read the book, but had heard bits and pieces. Anyway, we unsuccessfully planted a garden this year. (We do every year.) Our peas shot up fast, but with the heat and position of our garden, they were fried by the Texas heat. We did, however, get some wonderful peppers and a few tomatoes. We may try this next year: http://www.outdoorblogging.com/the-hay-bale-gardening-experiment-is-a-success/

Kristen, pajama mama said...

Woah! Hay bale gardening? Never heard of it! Doesn't it seem like it would take a ton of water? That's where I fail my plants every year...I always forget to water...maybe next year I'll be more diligent!

Tiffany said...

I have been very interested in trying this, but hesitant to get started. I don't exactly have a green thumb. My mind is moving on to autumn and wintery things right now, but I would imagine that in February, I'll be looking for this book. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sandra said...

If you aren't good at watering, square foot gardening maybe great for you! I just water mine with the sprinkler when the boys are playing in it. Next year we hope to do two gardens, one just for tomatoes and one for everything else!

care said...

To kind of change the subject, do you think you could do a post sometime about good vegetarian recipes? I'm having some house guests soon that don't eat meat and I'm scratching my head as far as meals go. It's good to be back -- I've been off-line for several weeks! :)

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Our veggie gardens are in raised beds constructed from old wooden pallets, they actually sit on concrete! There are pictures on my blog under the post 'Gorgeous Gum Boots, Gardens and Gum Trees'. A variation of the lasagna method but the main ingredient is rotten hay bales... stinky to install but the results are worth it!
I'm about to start spring planting. Over winter I grew lettuce and Asian greens. Yes, I know I live in Australia... lettuce bolts in our hot summers. Garlic is growing well in these beds. Last summer we grew zucchini, beans, peppers, cucumbers and carrots with great success in these beds. We have 3 long beds rather than a square... easier to weed and harvest, probably bigger than a square foot but I can only think in metres!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

You my pretty are my feature today! I thought I had already featured you.
email me for your button.
krjdemmon@comcast.net

Sarah said...

Hey, I just saw your feature on Today's Creative Blog & all I can say is WOW!!! You are one creative lady! :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

I came here fro Today's Creative Blog!
I have a friend who is doing the square foot gardening, but not me at this time. I have pots of lettuce on my deck, with the seeds planted very close to each other. I don't wait for a head to form, but pick the outer leaves.

Rachel@MyPinkFlipFlops said...

Saw you on Today's Creative Blog. a square foot garden sounds cool! I never heard of such a thing. I must look more into this. I live in L.A. It's not exactly a place I thought about having a garden.

Heather Nicole said...

Just stumbled upon you and I love your ideas. I just quit my job as an art teacher to stay at home with my 8 month old and do homeschool tutoring for a family at my church....oh and blog and make pottery :-) I am new to the blog world and just looking for moms with similar interests and beliefs. I will visit often and I mentioned your armoire project on my blog...LOVE IT!

www.heathernicoleblog.blogspot.com

Craft Tea Lady said...

I have been sq ft gardening for a while now (less than 10 yrs) and LOVE IT!

www.xanga.com/crafttealady

harriet said...

I can't believe this!!! My husband and I had a square foot garden back in 1984!!! We LOVED it and want to do it again at our present home. It does require a time committment, but just for the initial plot. The "recipe" for the soil is amazing at how quickly the plants grow and young children can easily tend w/ you!( Yes, my chldren were young in 1984). I heartily reccommend this for anyone We even had the book autographed by Mel, but we loaned it out and alas,it was never returned!

fawndear said...

Love Square foot gardening. Tried it, then this year I tried the old way and the weeds were unbearable. Next year I'm back to the square foot way. I found this great post on it here.

http://dianehopkins.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-way-to-garden.html

Love your blog!