I collect words.

Sunday, October 25, 2009


I love reading. I love the written words that tell a great story. And I love the creative ways writers form words to make a clearer picture or a more beautiful or poignant statement.

Sometimes I have to reread phrases that make me smile. Other times I have to write them down. Phrases like, "companionable silence" or "runaway enthusiasms."

Sometimes I save an entire monologue. Last week, I scribbled this on the back of the closest water bill envelope:

"She glanced down at her shoes again, and they met her stare. Shoes are realists, she thought, and they seemed to be saying: 'No chance. Sorry, but no chance.' " Tears of the Giraffe


Anyone else collect words?

7 Creative People Had This To Say:

Braley Mama said...

My husband and I collect books. Although lately we have been "renting" them from the library! I love to read, and Matt is a writer. makes for a good combo. I love that monologue.

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Yes, I too am a word collector. I write phrases and paragraphs into journals for future reference or use. They often show up on my blog - especially on the days when Mommy Brain has kept me from any logical thought process. A great quote becomes a blog post with a "Thoughts?" at the end ...

carol said...

Dad says "that's my girl!"
"Beautiful photo!"
"Great book photo!"

Unknown said...

I LOVE to read as well...I usually will print off memorable quotes and use them for book marks or hang them up places...my favorite tidbit lately is from a kids book though...one of our faves...

"Homemade bread lots of it
Creamy oatmeal pots of it
Peeling apples by the peck,
Mrs. Peter's was a wreck!"
-Seven Silly Eaters

HEEHEE!
Blessings,
Amy

Mama Melissa said...

i don't know that i collect them, but i do love them. :D and i particularly like using words people don't use all the time. and it's just because i enjoy using the different words. (sometimes we call them nickel or quarter words! lol)

ie...let's eradicate the problem...

i don't speak toddler to my 3 year old most of the time... i usually use the real or bigger word... we did that with my nephew too.

how's the waiting going, btw?

melissa

Ruth said...

I love the written word, too. It is so strong. I have a notebook to jot down all those great phrases and passages I come across.
Ruth

Marie said...

I have always been a collector of words -- I put them in my journals. I think it's rubbing off on my daughter (who is 6) -- I noticed her writing down some words out of a book the other day and when I asked she told them they "sounded nice" and she wanted to remember them :-)